Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Starting up ….

The first day I’m going to report to work , I and a newbie friend are introduced the working place and how everybody works . Then I was to meet the FOM , front office manager . Our big boss . Me and the other girl enter his room and I greet the manager with a hello and a big smile to hide my nervousness . He seems normal enough . But I was wrong . Damm wrong . He is … is strict . (I can’t use the word I really want just in case somebody knows him and sees this) . He told us that being a FOA , we need to smile all the time and must say thank you and wishes the guest . Let me simplify the whole thing into dialogues .
He goes first :
“So , can you do it ? Can you smile and wishes the guest like Good morning , Mr. Lee , thank you Mr. Lee , please come again Mr. Lee , thank you for staying with us Mr. Lee?”
Then I say :
‘Okay , yes I can do it .’
“You can ? Have you ever thanks your mom ?”
Taken back , I was like ‘Huh ? Well , sometimes’
“Sometimes only ? Such a daughter , only wishes her mother sometimes . You didn’t say thank you mother for making this delicious food , thank you for cleaning my clothes , thank you for ironing my shirt ?”
‘Urm , …. No’
“No ? Such a disgrace . Your mother and father will be crying and fainting if you go home now and say thank you . How come you say you can say thank you to the customer when you didn’t say thank you to your parents ?”
Scared by his words and his tone , tears stating to welled up in my eyes . I was dumbstruck . I can’t speak anything . ‘Urm , sorry….sorry’, I croaked throatily .

And then he launch into some mood fling …. Okay , he suddenly become cheerful and say that he is happy to have me … us to work here and happy working . Me … we go out and the tears are threatening to spill out . I tilted my head and started fanning my eyes as if fanning will make them evaporate faster . I ask a tissue from the girl and start wiping my eyes . He was really scary … and so , from that day onwards , I hate ….ehem , dislike him . Then , the supervisor just give us a manual book on how to work the system and we were sitting there reading the manual like crazy for 7 hours . God ! I’ve never been so tired reading books . And this is how I spent the first day of my working day . Hell …

No comments:

...